USE CASE Series – Database(s) Backup to Amazon AWS
In our new blog series we will focus on varying cloud use cases such as when and how to leverage public and private cloud platforms to deliver enterprise capabilities. Our firstuse cases focuses on database backup to the public cloud, in this case utilizing Amazon AWS.
Keeping up with the growth of Storage and Disaster recovery requirements continue to pose major challenges for every organization. Traditionally we would allocate additional storage to keep the backup set internally and continue to push out to tape.
Cloud storage is a very compelling alternative to offsite storage, but adopting this into the organization backup policy is never easy. Oracle, Symantec and Amazon Web Services have combined their best of breed solutions, RMAN efficient database backup utility and Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) to address this problem:
- The Oracle Secure Backup (OSB) cloud module is a fast and efficient way to take backups of Oracle database to cloud. This feature is available as an extension to traditional RMAN tape libraries and will work seamlessly with existing backup policies. This feature is available since Oracle 9iR2 and it can leverage the compression and encryption features to make it the best offsite backup solution available in the market. This OSB cloud module is available for Linux 32 and 64, SPARC 64, and Windows 32.
- Symantec, with their 7.5 release have provided a standard S3 API. You now have the ability to expose S3 as an alternative storage within Symantec to push your data to. This method can be applied for both oracle and or SQL database.
Benefits of Database Cloud Backup:
- Continuous accessibility
- High reliability
- Unlimited scaling and no up-front capital expense pay as you grow
- Reduced tape backup and offsite storage cost
- Minimize Data Duplication
- Reduce Tape Out by 70-80%
- Reduce investment in tape and primary storage
- Provide your developer easy access to backup copy to clone development environments
- Achieve $$ cost avoidance
- Significantly reduce complexity